28 June 2009

Thrift for Tea















I had to go to Eastbourne last week and the place was a complete surprise. Proud of it's big skies, sea and space. Everyone seemed to be retired which made it feel gentle and perhaps as a result it had storming Vintage! - I missed my train back by a minute, which left a whole hour to sift through thrift at the charity shops lined up along the road near the station.

I found these 50s brooches - a fabulous little bow and a rabbit corsage.

And I fell for the freckled patina on this little silver afternoon tea set.















I spent the journey home wondering what afternoon teas these things might have witnessed. Parties and courtships, talk with vicars and neighbours. Stolen kisses.

Other recent tea time thrift include these 70s cups from Wales















And some deep recycling - I seived my old drawers to find childhood and family pins.















The gold cow head brooch was my first ever purchase - aged 6, having saved pennies for months. It was, and is, a treasure of gigantic proportions. The silver horse was pinned to my school skirt and the gold flowers were my Great Grandmother's gift to my auntie for her 21st. I shall be wearing them to tea, to let them add to their memories, and should indecision strike, I shall simply wear them all at once!

No comments:

Post a Comment